Human Trafficking: Awareness Program
The problem of human trafficking will always persist unless there is holistic change. In addition to starting several boys and girls homes to rescue kids from the sex trade, workers are also educating the poor in rural areas to help them understand the forms and means of trafficking.
The program found several things contributing to the problem:
- There are many young girls and boys who work outside their villages.
- Their families are not aware of the kind of work the kids are involved in.
- There were many cases where young girls from the village went missing.
- One of the members shared that some girls from the village had been tricked and trafficked. The family members managed to get them back but were not able to file any case due to stigma and fear of humiliation in the community.
As a result of the program:
- The local government in the villages decided to issue birth certificates for those children who are not born in the hospitals / nursing homes.
- They also decided that they will form a local body that will help verify the authenticity of the job agents, the village members who offer jobs to the young people or the men who come to marry the girls prior to sending them for work or marriage. They will also help the village community to connect with the police in case of a missing child.
- They requested us to organize a bigger program where all the men, women and children can participate to increase awareness and understanding of the issue of sex trafficking and human trafficking.