As of Tuesday, February 14, one week after earthquakes hit the region of Southeastern Türkiye & Syria, nearly 40,000 lives are reported to be lost. The number is expected to rise as efforts shift from rescue to recovery and we provide an earthquake update. Türkiye is 99% Muslim and Syria is at least 85% Muslim, meaning most of those lost had no relationship with Jesus as Savior.
Aftershocks continue, as more than 2,400 quakes rocked the region. Factors including winter weather, the extended war of almost 12 years in Syria, long-term refugee and IDP (Internally Displaced People) factors, and rival political and rebel factions of power compound relief efforts.
While the circumstances in Türkiye and Syria present historic needs, open doors exist to show the compassion of Christ and share the hope of the Gospel in tangible ways. Live Global national partners are on the ground. In the weight of the loss under and all around the rubble, people looking for hope need to see Jesus.
Live Global NATIONAL PARTNERS on the ground
Earthquake Update: Türkiye
Two couples based in this country work with Syrian refugee communities and with local churches. *Robin & Salina are Live Global partners. The other leader is part of the regional team led by Live Global partners *Aquila & Priscilla. The couples living in Türkiye mobilized to focus efforts on an area underserved by international aid in the first week of response. Where believers in Jesus were first called “Christians,” national partners show the love of Christ.
Earthquake Update: SYRIA
Live Global Egyptian partner *Malik is experienced in Syria. His close partners live in Damascus, where one indigenous leader serves as a pastor. The local church is spearheading relief into Northern Syria, where little help has arrived due to a complex mixture of opposing forces and crumbling infrastructure. Millions of people already depended on international aid before the earthquakes. Despite obstacles in getting resources into Syria, this Live Global national partnership provides access.
Live Global RELIEF FUNDS for great needs
Relief funds provide for what’s essential, practical, urgent, and compassionate.
- rental of vehicles to haul equipment and supplies
- fuel for transportation of supplies and people into affected areas
- water, food, and hot tea for survivors and first responders
- essentials for children like diapers, infant formula, warm clothing
- basic supplies for shelter like wood & tarps to build tents for housing
- functional tools for communication & order like solar lights, chargers
- Items for health & hope like blankets, medicines, hygiene supplies, socks, clothing
Live Global partners in Türkiye resupply in urban areas outside the quake zone and transport essentials to needy areas. In Syria, basic supplies are more limited due to the on-going conflict, but *Malik’s church partner is working to find whatever resources they can.
Live Global partners have cultural and language skills to provide needed help in crisis, and they have a heart for showing and sharing the hope of Jesus found only Gospel-sourced compassion.
At the present time, a team from Live Global is mobilizing to head to the region to join the national partners already on the ground. Together, they will serve the suffering, resource the local church, gather information for response plans, and assess needs for future compassionate engagement. Teams currently led by the national partners work in challenging conditions. Access to electricity and running water have been cut off. Vehicles not only provide for a way to move supplies, they also serve as a place to sleep. Once the team identifies opportunities for specialized teams in the coming months, we’ll be looking for experienced people ready and able to help. CONTACT US IF THIS COULD BE YOU.
How to PRAY & HELP right now
- Pray for wisdom for national partners like *Robin and *Malik as they purchase supplies and allocate resources.
- Ask God for discernment in considering use of resources, cooperation with other believers and unbelievers, and in decision-making.
- Pray that God would protect the health of the national parters, local church members, and US team members.
- Ask God to help national parter women like *Salina and *Sarah as they minister in their heart language to Syria refugee women scattered and grieving in the region.
- Ask God to provide open doors for spiritual conversations in this nearly exclusively Muslim context.
- Pray that God would protect Christians in the high-stress setting with opposing political and military rivals.
- Ask God to bring lost people to salvation before more enter eternity without knowing God so loved the world that He gave His Son.
- Pray that God would keep working through dreams and visions to draw people to Jesus as Savior in the Middle East.
- Give to the Live Global Compassion Fund so we have resources ready to send as needs and opportunities emerge.