Doubling Up for School in Haiti’s New Normal
Nothing has been normal in Haiti this year. When school normally starts in September in Haiti, they will already be in school. Pastor Predestin says, “The year 2019 and half of the year 2020 have been disrupted by political turmoil and then come on top with the Coronavirus pandemic.” Though disease has yet to overwhelm the island nation, this leader who cares for so many vulnerable children knows, “Despite the fact that the Coronavirus is not too severe, we must take precautions to protect children who go to school.” To care for and educate orphans and children amidst the double challenges of unrest and restrictions, My Father’s House will split the groups to make up the difference. They trust the God who loves to give a Double Portion.
- God promised a double portion to returning prisoners. (Zechariah 9:12)
- God promised a double portion in the restoration of His people. (Isaiah 61:7)
- God restored two-fold what Job lost in sickness and calamity. (Job 42:10)
Instead of your shame there shall be a double portion; instead of dishonor they shall rejoice in their lot; therefore in their land they shall possess a double portion; they shall have everlasting joy.(Isaiah 61:7)
Pastor Predestin and his staff trust God to provide for the needs of 700 children in two primary schools. 200 of them are orphans receiving holistic care. In addition, they serve 250 students in a vocational school. “The biggest problem we have now is the question of space, because in normal times the space in the classrooms was already insufficient to contain the number of children we had.”
By creating a double-shift of care, all children can learn with guidance from the Ministry of Education for wearing masks, social distancing, and hand washing. These changes are now familiar to much of the world, but what does it look like in Haiti?
Doubling up in Haiti
- 2x meals for children, serving a hot meal to a 2nd group
- 2x shifts requiring 35 different teachers or paying one group twice
- 2x teacher trainings (3 days) if a second group is required
- 2x infrastructure (electricity, for example) for a longer day for group 2
- 2x space to spread out safely and keep Coronavirus at bay
In the midst of two crises, My Father’s House is doubling up to make the difference. God loves to provide a double portion for those left wanting in conflict and crisis. He is using Pastor Predestin and the ministry of My Father’s House to show His loving heart to provide.
Partner with My Father’s House as they double up to make up the difference.
How to Pray for a Double Portion of Provision
- Resources to provide double meals for children
- Stamina for Pastor Predestin and Amy as they lead in longer days
- Protection for health and safety of children and staff
- Funds to cover added infrastructure and staff needs
- Wisdom to use available space and equipment for double sessions
- Faith to believe God can provide a double portion to cover needs